For the Christmas holiday this year, my girlfriend Jasmine and I, prepared an amazing oil free menu to bring to her family’s festivities. Everything was vegan, of course, and super tasty. These rice balls were an experiment but ended up turning out very good. Served with a side of soy sauce or liquid amino’s, the flavor is taken to the next level. If you’d like to see the full menu of what we made, head over to Jasmines blog here!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 white onion, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (cooked in vegetable broth)
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, divided (gluten-free breadcrumbs can be used as well)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat, and preheat the oven the 350F.
- Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in a pan with 2 tbsp vegetable broth until soft.
- Put into food processor with rice, 2 tbsp vegetable broth, flour, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, and herbs & spices. Run until combined. Add in the remaining bread crumbs and mix again.
- Mix 1/3 cup break crumbs with 1/4 cup nutritional yeast in a shallow bowl. Form into balls using an ice cream scooper, then roll in the bread crumbs and nutritional yeast. Place onto the baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
For the full menu: