Who doesn’t love cornbread, right? Jasmine and I were doing a mukbang a few weeks back and we had the idea to make a pizza cake! (recipe on Sweet Simple Vegan) Instead of doing something traditional, we thought it would be fun to make it with some Mexican flare. The base of the cake was cornbread—specifically, this sun dried jalapeño corn bread. For the cake, we made the bread in larger pans, but these are mini muffin style. They pair perfectly with chili, black bean soup, etc. They can get a tad-bit dry, but when enjoyed with the fore-mentioned foods, it’s the perfect combo!
- 1½ cups corn meal (if not gluten-free: 1 cup cornmeal + 1/2 cup flour)
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp jalapeños, diced + more to top if desired
- 2-3 tbs salt-free sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line mini cupcake pan with parchment paper using this method. (link this: http://minimalistbaker.com/no-bake-peanut-butter-cup-cheesecakes/)
- Whisk together chia seeds and water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken and create a chia egg.
- Add apple cider vinegar to milk and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and combine thoroughly. Add in the sun dried tomatoes and jalapeños, then mix again.
- Add applesauce, milk mixture, and chia egg to dry ingredients. Mix just to combine.
- Pour cornbread into mini cupcake pan, filling each to the top. Bake for about 15 minutes until the edges brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Now, if you want to try the full pizza cake recipe, head on over to Jasmine’s Blog or click the image below!